COOKING TIME: 60 minutes
1 can of Coppola San Marzano tomatoes
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 small onion
400g Fontana Formiello Arborio Risotto Rice
1.5L hot water
Sea salt, to season
Freshly ground black pepper
10g Parmegiano-Reggiano cheese grated
• Place the San Marzano Tomatoes in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, add 2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil and lower to a slow simmer, stirring occasionally. Let cook for 1 hour, until all the liquid has been absorbed and you are left with a thick, velvety tomato sauce.
• Sauté chopped onion in 50g of butter in a heavy-based pan until softened, but not coloured.
• Add rice and stir well in the butter until it becomes translucent.
• Add tomato sauce, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring and cooking until mostly cooked down before adding more. Continue in this way until al dente.
• When rice is nearly done, taste, add salt and pepper as needed, then stir in cheese. Cover and let stand, off the heat, for about 5 minutes.